Thursday, 12 May 2011

STATUS


After some self assessing today, I’ve wondered whether how far on the status ladder I’ve slid down or rung climbed,

Very recently I finished University which in turn I have found myself in a new role as a stay at home dad. I get to look after my daughter almost every day whilst mommy goes out and makes the big bucks. I change nappies, make milk (the SMA variety), and entertain all day.

It seems like People all around me are getting jobs – (good paid jobs at that), learning to drive (which I should have done half my life ago) and serving the community. Fair play! I just want a slice of that action.

I guess I am kind of reeling in that someone recently had the gull to call me a ‘Stay at Home Loser’ and for what its worth that label hit where it hurts. I KNOW that I am NOT a Loser, but there have been times where I have felt a bit like that.

My lot right now is simple and I am happy with it. I have a beautiful baby girl to work and play with all day. I am in a position some fathers probably aren’t. I get to bond with my daughter and that’s a great thing! Some might assume that I scoff cakes and watch kids TV all day, but it is very far from the truth.

I think what hurts is that I egotistically know how much gold I can pave through my cultural capital and it has not fully happened yet.

I have played my life out in a unique order. The car, the cash, the status should all come in good time. And to be honest, I happily count the blessings I have. Sometimes when I see what others have I take those blessings for granted. I should not! What I have is great!

Stay at Home Loser? Hardy!

White-Hot free agent as far as employment or community work goes - That's more accurate!

I am Ken Flatt: Stay at home Dad, Defender of the Universe, one of Keynsham’s most unique characters and someday a big-time career man.

No comments: