Sunday, 6 October 2013

PUMPKIN

Halloween is approaching. Tat is on the shelves, pumpkins are surfacing and eggs n’ flour will be rationed.

I never really did the Halloween thing much whilst growing up. I never once went to a Halloween Party (as I had no idea to this day what people are actually celebrating, or if they knew either). I did Trick or Treating twice (once on my own in year 8, and another occasion with my siblings under supervision).

Every end of October is the same; I get sweets, make up goody bags and wait for the doorbell to ring. Every year without fail, ‘Trick or Treaters’ turn up in groups, all dressed up. Sure, I think Trick or Treat is glorified begging, but I know those who partake in it see it as a fun activity – so to each their own. I disagree with children being introduced to horror themes – no matter how thin the veil, which means I ‘grudgingly’ humour Halloween to be civil. I’ve never been tricked yet!

In our street, we’ve never had a bad group yet. All the kids who visit our road have been supervised by an adult and have been polite. We’ve never had people bang on our door, and some respectfully leave if we don’t answer too quickly. It certainly speaks respect about our area, even on a night like October 31st.

I don’t endorse Halloween in any way, but made the conscious decision to not be (quote: The Sooty Show) a moaning mini when it comes down to giving to Trick or Treat ‘cosplayers’. If people simply don’t want them at their door, sticking up a ‘polite’ sign ensures being left in peace.

“That man is nice; he was giving Lego men last year”.  – Overheard quote from Halloween 2012

Things will get more interesting in future years with my own kids. I will do all I can to discourage Halloween, especially with it deep down being the polar opposite of Christmas. The giving to Trick or Treat patrons will have run its course by then. There are alternate ways to enjoy October 31st sans playing with darkness.

No comments: