Today is a closet opening day.
I’m
emerging from such closet not to reveal a hidden fetish or a funny class
I’ve been taking, but regarding my admiration of a TV series
This
TV series is set in a post-apocalyptic present day timeline. The show
features a hodgepodge of selected characters (from different
backgrounds) who band together to survive and sometimes do battle
against nastier characters and complete headcases. Let’s just say, this
is the ultimate man eat man world scenario.
The show is
dangerous and exciting in places; some characters get bumped off (and
replaced with newer ones), there’s some fun bits and in places, plus
some really clever areas of writing and film-making. There are also
witty and lengthy talking parts that could give Seinfeld a run for its money.
Oh, sometimes zombies crop up now and again.
That’s it! - I said the ‘z’ word. Despite my distain of the horror genre, I actually think AMC’s TV adaptation of The Walking Dead is actually a pretty darn good show.
Anyone who knows The Walking Dead
enough will know it is more than just about zombies. Even the NBC
network allegedly wanted to produce the show originally with the undead
excluded.
“oh, it’s scary!”
The scare factor relies on suspense and as much fake gore that one would see on an episode of BBC’s Casualty.
The waddling corpses seen on the show are extras in layers of makeup
and no more terrifying than the orcs from Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings
film series. Like the orcs n goblins, the 'walkers' get arrowed or
struck down - except there’s a bit more mess and sometimes bullets. I
dislike scary stuff and horror, but the fear level in this show isn’t so
bad. This is also the only ‘zombie apocalypse’ medium I will give any
attention to.
Saying that in addition, you won’t ever
witness me take part in any Zombie walks or consumerism protests outside
Cabot Circus. I don’t consider myself a zombies fan and The Walking Dead is very much the casual and short extent.
Perhaps, in short I should have really just said that I am okay with The Walking Dead and left it at that…

No comments:
Post a Comment