I sit here today at my desk of clutter filled sci-fi beauty hurting and too bruised to move around much. Still inside I am content.
I left the house at 6.30 on Saturday and made it good time for my train and rail replacement coaches. After much travel, I finally trek it up to Wales and I’m there at the Merthyr Studio Bar super early for the scheduled Scotty 2 Hotty seminar.
The Studio Bar is a very cool venue, almost the main base of operations for Celtic Wrestling. The main floor of course is the bar where we have bands, bowling arcade machines and a dance floor, the second floor up is where the Celtic Wrestling ring is based and where some shows are currently held, the third floor is an old movie theatre which has not been used in years, it is run down but looks really cool and apocalyptic and has been an awesome filming location for wrestler vignettes (Death Row especially in George Romero homage fashion!!!).
Sadly, due to reasons I won’t go into, Scotty 2 Hotty no-showed the seminar but that did not mean training was cancelled. As normal Bassey and Caiman (also with some help from Big Dave) took the session
Now I’ve not stepped into the ring or bumped properly for the best part of 2 years and I was a little worn out by the time the rigorous exercise warm-up session had ended, but I am glad I did it. I’ve wrestled before (not for Celtic), held a title (2x tag team champion) and been through ‘the basics’, shared a changing space with a few stars, but starting from scratch was indeed the way forward since my original run involved me being booked on shows waaay too early. Starting from scratch was a reboot to what little I have learned and the kick up the ass I needed. There is a lot I did not learn back then that I am starting to learn now and I want to learn more.
Losing weight has been a huge help in moving around the ring. I used to get very worn out, but get a little less flustered now - :P So much room for improvement and the pounds continue to drop.
Boy did I miss chaining! Chaining is a real art form and with practise you and a dance partner can really put on a fantastic display. Internationals… Something I was not shown much of before I am now being shown and like chaining this element of a match presents an art style of its own.
Training was awesome and I want to come back and do more. I can hardly move as I write this because I am bruised and sore all over (not just from ring bumping but floor bumping too). Whether I mount to anything from this does not bother me, I am happy to be wrestling again as an activity and starting to enjoy it again.
It was good to see old faces again and new faces too, some of which I have known through the internet. You know who you are. Also another Bristol based trainee too, now I feel less alone.
Celtic has a good people ethic. We all build each other up rather bring each other down (unlike a certain other ‘promotion’) and there is still a no nonsense ethos there too. It is nice to be part of a wrestling training session where the people who run it are not sat in the corner playing with a cellphone all day, leaving people to train themselves and expecting large fees for the ‘privilege’. The C/W trainers take time with everybody and are on cue. I am sure there are other fantastic wrestling schools out there, but C/W is where my heart is right now and is a company I feel I have the best relationship with. I won’t knock the idea of spending my ‘part-time hobby’ with other promotions but C/W are like my main brand.
Saturday was real fun and I hope to do it again. I think the wrestling bug has returned.
No comments:
Post a Comment