So it is the last week of April 2009 and what a great way to round it off than spend the mornings having a blast at Doctor Who-liday’s Bible Club.
Now when I mean Church, I mean the community not a building.
It kind of brings back memories of 10 years ago when a certain Transforming robot convention was held at the St Barnabas Center in Clapham London hosted by the missus (and me). Great times and a great building which on Sundays is used as a church!
Back on topic…
10 years ago, something like Doctor Who-liday would have never been taken into consideration at Elim. It would have only taken one Negative Nancy in the congregation to throw a xenophobic hissy-fit to spoil things for the creative majority.
The thought of a church building event probably would also have spark a negative reaction to some. I partially attribute this to a world-view that a church is a ‘religious’ place, when really most ‘church’ buildings are used for other things besides *cough* religion. Going inside a garage doesn’t turn one into car now, does it?
Attitudes on all ends are improving...
Onto the bit about having fun…


I am this week alongside the great TGI Crew having a great time with Keynsham’s youth putting on a fantastic event with fun, gunge, activities and yes a smidgen of gospel too. What really matters is that the kids are having a fantastic time and enjoying the week.
I was also the first victim of George The Dalek’s gunge tank towards the end of the morning. The Dalek voice in the church hall hosted a Q and A (with some help from Dr Wholiday) where I messed up a Skaro related question. For my lack of a good answer I was splattered in blue translucent alien gunge to the delight of the crowd.
George the Dalek did not reveal himself yet, but his voice was heard over the speakers. Tuesday however is a different story and we have a runway ready for our 6 foot alien dustbin guest.
Our groups for games have also been amusedly divided into the Sontarans, Daleks and Cyberman. Seeing 3 large groups of kids in sequence doing the “Sontar-Ha!”, “You Will Be Deleted” and “Exterminate” soundbytes for their teams is a sight to behold.
I’m really looking forward to Tuesday.
Good fun! Next blog soon.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, The Church has left the building!”
No comments:
Post a Comment