Thursday, 4 September 2008

OCTANE


I’ve not written about any of the junk I waste my money on in a long time (maybe because I don’t buy stuff often), so here goes a snippet about my latest Transformers acquisition – Universe Tankor!

Universe or Classics/Henkei as it is otherwise known is a Transformers sub-line mainly aimed at us ‘older’ kids who owned the original figures of Optimus Prime etc back in the 80’s. This sub-line introduces revamped and updated new versions of the old figures from yesterday so us grown ups can buy the characters again and the kids of today can enjoy them too.

Now Tankor is meant to be an update of the Decepticon Triple Changer Octane. For whatever reason - the toy is named Tankor instead, most likely because of a current copyright issue. What matters is that this figure resembles in some way the kickass toy Octane from 20+ years ago.

Octane/Tankor was best remembered as a Transformer who had both a fuel tanker and plane transformations. This new incarnation of the toy still has those modes and pays good homage to the G1 original with a couple of different features too. The detail is amazing, the colours are well placed, and the all new double-rake weapon is a decent touch.

I’ll save a long-winded toy review for later, but I must say I am pretty blown away by one of Hasbro’s latest offerings. Shame about the name complications, but in conclusion the best 12 quid I have ever squandered.

Bring on Cyclonus and co!

No comments: