Friday, 16 May 2008

REGAL


I am really stoked to see on TV Steve 'William' Regal getting the character push in the WWE he so justly deserves. First off being the General Manager of RAW, then the 2008 King of the Ring and thirdly being used in top level feuds against stars like HHH and Mr Kennedy.

I grew up watching Regal on ITV World of Sport Wrestling, as well as Fit Finlay and Robbie Brookside. I've been watching wrestling since I was 6 so you can guess how long I have been watching Regal plus other classic British stars and wrestling in general.

Regal was the first wrestler I shook hands and stood in a wrestling ring with. I am talking here about a time around 17 years ago when All Star Promotions ran shows fortnightly at the Colston Hall in Bristol. The occasion was a tag team main event which involved The Liverpool Lads (Regal and Brookside) VS Doc Dean and some other dude who I forgot. At this time the Liverpool Lads were well over with the crowd as a babyface tag team whilst Doc Dean was a much hated heel and also a former Liverpool Lad himself (His storyline is basically similar to that of Shawn Michaels betraying Marty Jannetty and ending The Rockers). Basically the Liverpool Lads scored the win and the arena went nuts, so much so a few of us kids stormed the ring to congratulate our heroes.

It was very cool that later on Regal joined WCW and even though he was a heel he was in a good position to represent the UK in the USA and teach some of them ‘yanks’ a thing or two ;) There was even a time when Regal made the mighty Bill Goldberg work for his pinfall as opposed to being part of a cliché of a 3 minute match opponent. Regal refused to job so easily like many others did and it got him in trouble. At least Goldberg got took to school British Strong-style that was the main thing.  That match is viewable here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POjGbzOYDOg

There is many other Regal stuff I could go on about, but I just don’t have the time and energy to spit it all out in one day. Regal is the man and that’s what matters.

Now in this present day, William Regal is ruling the WWE with an iron fist and is definitely the main in charge despite a current anti-UK vibe on WWE programming (well last weeks RAW was definitely anti-UK). I hope the character push will last for a long time to come.

All hail King Regal! Rule Britania!

No comments: